Get your free guide to publishing with expert industry advice, tips and hints - best of all, its free!
The Print-On-Demand Process
With new developments in technology, the cost of printing a book is a lot more affordable than it used to be, typical book prints had to print in bulk, which then left storage and distribution issues. With POD print on demand services, a book can be printed when an online order is made. Or a smaller number of books can be published dependent on your requirements. New Generation have printing solutions for your novel, whether paperback or hardback options are required.
￼Files for printing
The file formats we normally work with for the inside pages are:
- Print-quality PDF files
- Microsoft Word files
Our preference is a basic Word file – let us typeset the manuscript and design the cover.
We provide a full range of binding styles that offer solutions ranging basic cheaper options, up to high quality prints:
- Perfect binding: also called paperback or square back binding.
- Thread sewing: the book is bound by machine-sewing folded sections together.
- Stitch sewn: the book is bound by gluing together folded sections that have been stitched with wire.
- Loose-leaf binding: individual pages are shrink-wrapped, drilled and presented in a ring binder, ideal for reference and training materials. We can organise the production of ring binders.
- Wire-o binding: useful for reference books, cookery books, manuals and material for photocopying as the pages lay flat.
- Wire stitching: also called saddle stitching, this is used on journals, magazines, booklets and other short publications.
Note on binding: different types will only be available on certain types and lengths of books and higher prices will apply for more complex binding types. For a paperback, perfect binding is used as standard unless otherwise advised.
Authors’ books will automatically be available globally via print-on- demand for a full 12 months. The author will then be offered the opportunity to renew the books’ availability for a small fee (£25+Vat as at April 2014) at the end of each 12-month period.
Authors can also order copies of their own work at a discounted cost. The amount of discount depends on the size of order – the greater the quantity, the greater the discount we will receive from the printer. Authors can provide New Generation Publishing with a range of quantities and we will be happy to quote for each. Our quotations will include packing into sturdy cartons and delivery to you.